Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My oet has been bleeding none stop for about 14 day. I took

Customer Question
her to the vet a...
My oet has been bleeding none stop for about 14 day. I took her to the vet a nd they gave me Propectalin tablet s and Metronidazole 500 mg but she hasnt gotten better.. Im very concern what can i do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: blue nose pitbull 3 yrs old female
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yeah my dog is sick
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: not to my knowledge, she has never been pregnant or with another dog at all. she has lost lots of weight and she is drinking water and vomiting it almost immediately
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Where is she bleeding from? Her rectum or vagina?

What tests have her vet's done?

Does she have diarrhea?

What does her vomit look like?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

she is bleeding from her vagina, they did test on her and thats why the vet had said it was an intestinal issue but nothing has change and even with the med's, she is not better at all., yes she have diarrhea, its coming out with blood and lots of it. I change her diaper about every 25 to 30 min and its always full with blood and its watery. Her vomit can be white foam like it can be dark brown, her gums look pink and she still looks hydrated. when pressed on her belly she moans and you can tell she feels discomfort, and no she hasn't eaten any bones, toys, plants, chemicals or human meds

Hello again,

Now it sounds like she has a few different issues ongoing and if the blood flow is profuse we need her local vet reassessing her or referring her to a specialist.

Now from what you are reporting, if she has blood from her vagina, then that won't be due to a gut issue. Its more likely associated with the kidneys, uterine (if she isn't spayed), vagina, or bladder (ie infection, bladder stones/crystals, tumors at any of these) based issue. That said, if she also has bloody diarrhea, we'd be worried that we could have a bacterial (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc), viral (ie Parvo, HGE, etc) or parasitic (ie whipworms, giardia, coccidia, etc) issue as well. And sometimes we do see diarrhea issues where the bacteria get into the bladder to cause a secondary infection.

Though I do have to warn that if she has profuse bleeding from both at one time; then we do have to question her body's ability to clot. And while we'd want her vet ultrasounding or scoping for the above concerns; we may actually need to put those on hold and have them check her clotting factors. Especially as bleeding from multiple areas fits with rat bait poisoning but also immune mediated thrombocytopenia (where the body destroys platelets), DIC (an abnormal coagulopathy often triggered by other issues with a poor prognosis) and Addison's disease. For infectious concerns, we can see this with some bacterial infections, heartworm, tickborne disease (ie Rickettsia, Leishmania, Ehrlichia, Borrelia, Babesia, Anaplasma) cause these signs. So, those may actually need to be looked into here if your lass has lots of bleeding from multiple locations and isn't responding to her vet's treatment.

Finally, while just a supportive measure for the moment, if she has vomiting you can try to reduce her nausea with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet. Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools and support digestion until you can get her vet looking into the above worries.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I believe something is happening but I have no idea what it is. I need to know what will be the best way to help her?

Hello again,

You need to start the above supportive care but again once her vet is open you need them taking a blood sample to check for those above concerns. Further to that, it depends on what tests they already did to how we treat. But if you think they are struggling with her care, request a referral to a specialist at this point.

Dr. B.

They test her for parasite and it came out negative, the vet assume that because I had changed her food, her GI track got infected because of the change. The gave her Metronidazole 500mg and Propectalin but that didn't stop the symptoms or get her any better
Hi again,. If they tested for parasites in the stool that isn't the same as those i noted above. So she needs a blood test for those. Kind regards, ***** *****
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian