Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog got into Hydrocortisone I don't know how ago at least

Customer Question

My dog got into Hydrocortisone I don't know how long ago at least 3 or 4 hours ago I am not sure he ate any but I do not know what to do he is a 12 to 15 lb poodles
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maxwellsmart
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maxwellsmart?
Customer: I gave him A table spoon of porixide a hour and a half ago but he wen out the doggie door and I could not find where or if he threw up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. Now as long as he didn't eat the packaging (a blockage risk) we'd not be overly worried here. Hydrocortisone tends to be quite low dose and if anything could cause short term increases to thirst/urination/appetite and GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). Therefore, hopefully he brought some back up outside but otherwise we can just start supportive care. To start, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to counter nausea and GI upset, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And again usually the signs just last a few days but as long as he settles we can monitor that for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )