How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20548
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 4. She is a boxer- 60 pounds, Macy, No

Customer Question

My dog ate 4 brownies. She is a boxer- 60 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Macy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Macy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Macy very much as she is a larger breed dog, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her. Of course the chocolate content of these brownies is the risk, but while chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog would have got in these brownies before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Macy's weight as being in the region of 60 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 42 ozs { More than two pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. while it is true that other forms of chocolate are more toxic than milk chocolate this is still not going to be a factor in your case, you may perhaps see a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea but that's about it.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any more severe symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Macy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Macy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the brownies incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.