Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I found a red sore the size of a nickel on my dog near his

Customer Question

I found a red sore the size of a nickel on my dog near his right hind leg and penis hind
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He wad recently groomed and was shaved very close. I did not see this site this morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How deep it is?

Any pus or odor?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No puss or odor. Not as angry red this morning but still fairly prominent on his skin.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

That doses look quite raw there and I do wonder if they caught the skin. In any case, given how superficial it is and the lack of those other concerns, we'd just want to start some topical care here. To do so, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness for him. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a pair of boxers on him (turned backwards for a tail hole) on your wee one to protect this if need be. And as long as it settles over the next few days, we are happy. Of course, any worsening or if it is causing him a lot of bother; then we'd want this checked by your vet in case oral pain relief +/- antibiotics is needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I should mention he isn't as interested in food. I was concerned about a tick bite, but will clean it, apply cream and watch. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

That would be another concern if you do have ticks locally. Still the above will help with that as well. Of course, if he doesn't perk up or eat properly for you (try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free)) or if we see a lump/abscess appear then we'd need a check for those oral/systemic treatment options.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.