Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I ran out of my dog's Tramadol 50 mgs that he's been taking

Customer Question

I ran out of my dog's Tramadol 50 mgs that he's been taking for over a year now. What else can I give him until I can get him in to the vet this week?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He old, and in pain from you name it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kona, 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about kona?
Customer: Nope
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear that Kona is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As far as human over the counter pain relief drugs goes you do have one { and only one } option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as both safe and effective as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Kona's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Kona is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning over the counter pain relief ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott