Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We've spent $7000. on our silky yorky. She's 11 years old

Customer Question

We've spent $7000. on our silky yorky. She's 11 years old and last week she started pooping black stolls. Took her to our vet and told us to take her to a animal hospital! They did an ultra sound xray gave her transfusions,blood fluid, radiograph,plasma up to 7 transfusions, and on and on but couldn't find where she was blooding from. We end taking her home and she has very low platelets. Can you guess what she has?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about She 's?
Customer: Well we took her to our regular vet and they sent us to this hospital!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

Now given this situation, her vet referring her was appropriate. This is because she sounds to be a very challenging case.

First, if she has black stool (digested blood), we do know where she is bleeding from to cause that since that is from the stomach or upper GI. So, issues like bleeding ulcers/masses/etc. would be a concern. That said, if her vet has thoroughly looked in that area (though usually we need to scope them with an endoscope to find those in tricky cases) and she has low platelets then it is important to remember that in less straightforward cases bleeds may be a side effect of reduced platelet production. And in that case, not only are we needing to check that upper GI/stomach region; we need to know what is going with her platelets. This is because they are key for clotting all those tiny bleeds we don't even know we have daily. And if they are low, she is either running out or hasn't enough in the first place. And it is that latter that can appear this way we as well.

Now in regards ***** ***** for this, I will list our main suspects but hopefully in their blood tests some have been ruled out. If not and a local issue, then we may need some of these checked for. Now to start, since she is older I have to note that we do see cancer in the bone marrow appear this way. So, a bone marrow aspirate may be necessary at this point. Though perhaps before doing that we'd want to make sure that her vets have ruled out cancers elsewhere in the body with their scan and xray. If they have, we need them to check for immune-mediated thrombocytopenia (where the body destroys the platelets), DIC (an abnormal coagulopathy often triggered by other issues with a poor prognosis) and Addison's disease. For infectious concerns, we can see this with some bacterial infections, heartworm, tickborne disease (ie Rickettsia, Leishmania, Ehrlichia, Borrelia, Babesia, Anaplasma) but hopefully depending on your location some of those are less likely for her. Of course, if some are local concerns then they should be checked as they can appear this way.

Overall your lass has a very challenging situation and the first step from here is to ask ourselves if there is a bleeding source in the GI or if this is a side effect from her lack of clotting ability. If the cannot isolate an issue in the gut or reduce her signs by treating there (ie gastroprotectants, antacids, etc); then we'd need to look for these other issues +/- check her bone marrow to get to the root of this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
None of the illness's you wrote where mentioned. Said she could have bone marrow problems but never did anything to find out. What they did is list us a list of procedures there will do on her and that was blood trans. & implants. Never changed the list from time she was in there and until we took her home. They printed off a invoice before she was admitted and same invoice was when she left! $7000.00. Cape Cod Veterinarian Specialists! I would love to have you as our Vet! Are you anyway near Ma.?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Good morning,

If I was local I would not hesitate to help, sadly I am an ocean away in Scotland. Still hopefully with the above considerations for her signs, you can ring the local specialist and start narrowing these down for her (hopefully some won't be local worries but if they still have her blood sample on hand some of these could be checked for her). Otherwise, taking an aspirate/biopsy of the bone marrow may be our next step to getting to the heart of this for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )