Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 17 and a half year old miniature poodle just started

Customer Question

My 17 and a half year old miniature poodle just started barking shrilly and running all over the house in distress! He didn't fall or bump into anything - he's nearly blind and quite deaf and just hears his squeaky toys, but now he doesn't seem to want comfort from either myself or my husband and he's extremely upset. He never barks - this is quite frightening. I've checked his eyes, with some difficulty, and there doesn't seem to be any change there. It's as if he has gone mental?!?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the miniature poodle's name?
Customer: Jakey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jakey?
Customer: He's in good health for his age except for the waning eye sight and deafness. He still plays with his toys, and is very affectinate/ We try to stimulate his life as much as we can. He's never done anything like this. It all came on suddenly!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has he calmed down fully yet? If not, can you provide a video of what you're seeing?

Any history of illness or injury?