Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My friends dogs leg rt back needs amputation but no vet

Customer Question

my friends dogs leg rt back needs amputation but no vet around us will help its 400 up front they dont have the money what can i do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes hes trying to eat his leg off it is rotten and the foot in gangrenous
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: no vet will see him without 400$ up front and they don't have the money I started the dog on ampicillin what else can I do
JA: How old is no?
Customer: 2 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about no?
Customer: no what else can we do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Have you contacted the shelters around you or the human society? Often they will be Able to provide low cost veterinary care.

Another idea is to start a gofundme account and get it out on Facebook.

A third option is for them to apply for care credit which works like a health credit card and if you pay if off within 6 months or something like that there is little to no interest. This can really help get their dog the care he needs faster.