Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog who is a female yellow lab is 13 years old and for

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** dog who is a female yellow lab is 13 years old and for the last two years she has lost the use of her hind legs Vet sayz itz quite commom in her breed so she has a special harness I use to get her around..but on to the more recent problem my girl has turned her nose up to her favorite foods or any foods ..she drinks water but nothing like she used to she's lethargic and the most disturbing of it all she has blood in her urine..I have asked friends and thy said she's just getting old and it's about her time and I should do what I'm dreading the most the reason I haven't taken her to the vet yet is because I'm on disability and can't afforrd it I love my dog with all my heart and have for the 13 years I've had her and and my disability makes it hard for me to carry her on some days (I have a rod in my spine) but I will do what I have to do what I have to do...so if there is any way you can gelp I'd appreciate it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Didn't you get my message?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to be in pain no wimpering or groans
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dallas and she is 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?
Customer: No I think I've covered everything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is she on any medications for her hind legs? Which ones?

Does she have weakness or lack of feeling/movement?

How much blood are you seeing in her urine?

Does she pass large or small volumes?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No medications for her legs..yez she is weak it takes a little bit to get up..as far as her urine sometimes alot of blood and some none at all..now she urinates very little with blood yez she is retching she vomited twice look like a yellow bile and she is lickinv her lips alot..her gums are pink and moist
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I am concerned about Dallas.

The blood in her urine is a worry, as it suggests bladder infection which could make her feel unwell, nauseous, and not keen to eat. Of course, at her age we'd also be wary of urine crystal issues or bladder tumors but given the small volumes she is passing just now an infection is our top concern.

With this in mind, we can start some supportive care for her nausea but we'd really want her seen for these bladder signs. The local vet can check a urine sample (which isn't costly) and start antibiotics to help her. And if we can clear this, we'd hope to get her feeling better. That all said, for addressing her nausea for the short term, you can try her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet. Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Finally, since costs are a a concern, there is help. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). And that would offset costs for her. Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help. And the sooner we do address this for her, the sooner we can get her feeling better and avoid this spreading to her kidneys.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help Doctor.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )