Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 6lbs chihuahua/dachshund ate some AZO phenazopyridine

Customer Question

My 6lbs chihuahua/dachshund ate some AZO phenazopyridine hydrochloride 97.5mg about 2 hours ago. She is not showing any symptoms yet. What would you advise to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: 7 months Lexi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexi?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. When you say some, did your dog ingest 97.5 mg in total or a greater or lesser amount, can you estimate?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She ate at least 3 tabs of 97.5 mg

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below ...

1. OK, this drug is quite unsuitable for dogs and the toxic dose for this drug in the dog is 20 mg per Kg of bodyweight { Your dog weighs 2.72 Kg } Expected side effects could include vomiting and diarrhoea, urine colour change (red-orange), lethargy, increased respiratory rate, and wobbliness.

2. Given the above and the fact that it is now too late for you to induce vomiting to recover this drug at home this drug my specific advice is that you should take Lexi to an ER vet without delay.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lexi's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! Approximately how long would it take symptoms to appear?

Usually within three to four hours of ingestion in my experience ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you! I will keep an eye on her & plan to take her to the local vet.

No problem, I shall be about for a while yet so please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lexi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the AZO incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott