Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

She has been sneezing quite a bit and the whites of her eyes

Customer Question

She has been sneezing quite a bit and the whites of her eyes are pinkish red. She feels very warm but she always has so j have no idea if she has a fever or not
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kisses, and she is 4 yrs old. I just got her a month ago from a rescue shelter.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kisses,?
Customer: I don't think so. She has been getting a fair amount of peanut butter for treats but I don't think it's a good allergy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did the sneezing and red eyes start? How is her appetite? Any nasal drainage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 5 days,ago. No nasal drainage.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Appetite is great for people food and treats, and she does eat her kibble too but I wish she would eat more kibble.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have $$ so I'm stuck with this. Can I give her saline eye drops?
you can use saline eye drops. You can also give her Benadryl for sneezing. Use human benadryl. The dose is 1 mg of benadryl per pound of dog every 12 hours as needed. For example a 20 pound dog would take 20mg of benadryl every 12 hours.
You could take her temperature to see if she has a fever. Use a human thermometer and put a little Vaseline or ky jelly on the tip of the thermometer. Turn it on and insert it into the rectum about an inch. Wait three minutes or until it beep.
A normal temperature for a dog is 100-102.5 F
If she has a fever she may need antibiotics. In that case call the rescue shelter you adopted her from and see if they can help you out or refer you to a low cost clinic
It sounds like she has a cold or mild upper respiratory tract infection. Those normally resolve in 7-10 days
Keeping a humidifier in the room with her and bringing her into the bathroom with the shower running so she can breathe the steam can help as well.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions. If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars. Thank you.