Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate my stash of vicadine and is now very fussy im not

Customer Question
sure wjat to do JA: I'm...
My dog ate my stash of vicadine and is now very fussy im not sure wjat to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 7m old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about dash?
Customer: He is panting while laying still and has already moved 2 bowl movements the vicadine was about 7 millagrams
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

When did he eat it?

How much does he weigh and what type of dog is he?

Was there any acetaminophen in the pills?

Hello?

No there wasnt any in the pills

When did he ingest this and how much does he weigh I need to calculate his dose and possible serious side effects

2 hrs ago hes 6 pounds and it was about 6 millagrams he has labored breathing and wont stop crying

At 2 hours we now cannot induce vomiting so that option is out.

His high end dose is 1.5 mg so we are overdosed by 5 or so mg and that is a lot

The initial concern with a very large overdose of Vicodin (or equivalent) would be CNS (neurological), cardiovascular and respiratory depression secondary to the opiate effects.

My best recommendation is that we need to get him to a veterinarian to be assess and try and de-contaminate him and reverse some of these effects.

Do you know your nearest emergency clinic? If not I cant help you locate one with your zip code

What is a concerned a high dose?

His dose on the high end is 1.5 mg you are saying he ate 6 mg that means he is overdosed by 4-5 times his dose that is high.

High enough that his lungs could start to have issues (you said he is labored breathing) and we can see coma's occur just like in human overdose cases. that is why he needs to get to a veterinarian. I do not want anything bad to happen with him so the only medical records can I can make for you is to get him to a veterinarian for care to make sure he makes it.

In dogs with coughing you can go up to 1 mg/kg which would be 2.7 mg so we are still overdosed there as well. Just like in humans overdosing carries risks and side effects.

My best recommendations for you is to get him assess by a veterinarian now if you can to make sure he will be ok and administer medications to manage the side effects if warranted .

Good luck I hope he is ok.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian