Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I acquired a puppy that the breeder told me was 8 weeks old,

Customer Question

Hello, I acquired a puppy that the breeder told me was 8 weeks old, however the vet informed me that I was lied to and that the puppy is only 5 weeks old. This morning, she has pooped bloody mucus watery stools several times.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maui?
Customer: She had some worms in her stool a couple days a go but I took her to the vet the same day and she got dewormed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. If she is acting normal otherwise; eating well, playing well and not vomiting, it may not be a serious concern. It is possible that the diarrhea could be due to the deworming. Sometimes, with a heavy worm burden, the dying worms can cause an inflammatory reaction in the GI tract. If she is not eating or drinking, is vomiting, more than 50% of her stool is blood, seems weak or lethargic or diarrhea not resolved in 24 hours; then I would definitely have your vet re-evaluate her. Just make sure she is eating and drinking. You can even use a little Pedialyte. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is also a very foul smell
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Yeah, the blood and diarrhea itself can smell very bad. Like I said, if he is acting normal otherwise, it is a small amount of blood and it is not getting worse; it doesn't sound like an emergency and can be given 24 hours to see if it resolves. If he does seem ill, there is a lot of blood (more than 50% of the stool) or it is getting worse; then I would have him checked out immediately. Sorry for the wait. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Maui is doing and to see if you have any other questions.