Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate a chocolate and a piece of flour tortila from a

Customer Question

my dog ate a chocolate and a piece of flour tortila from a wrap. he hasn't been acting normal nd i found out that he spitted some phlegm and blood. a few minutes ago, he was throwing up a white foamy sputum. He was forcing himself to throw up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stewart and he is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stewart?
Customer: He has managed to jump up the counter and eat chocolate in the past.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How many ounces of chocolate did he eat?

4- Type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

5- Is she lethargic?

6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He ate the chocolate Friday evening. ( Dark chocolate 85%with orange peel) The flour tortilla that he didn't even chew was on Sunday around 1 am. He just swallow it because I caught him in the act.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
approximate 8- 9 Lbs
A little lethargic. He likes to run and chase his brother, but not today.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, if she ate the chocolate on Friday I don't believe this is related to the chocolate or tortilla. The presence of blood suggests that this could be related to ingestion of a foreign body, an infection, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 7-10 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will start that treatment. I am concern about cost. Could you please look at local ASPCA or Shelters where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please follow the link below for the ASPCA they can help you find your local ASPCA.

https://secure.aspca.org/donate/ps-gn-p2?ms=MP_PMK_Googlebrand-T4&initialms=MP_PMK_Googlebrand-T4&pcode=WPSE9XXGOGN2PK00014&lpcode=WPSE9XXGOGN1PK00014&gclid=CI6e8vWh4dMCFY-2wAodwEYEqw

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter