Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My roommate has two pit bulls. We live in a small apartment

Customer Question

My roommate has two pit bulls. We live in a small apartment with no yard, we both work very long hours as bar managers, the dogs are poorly trained & so while we're gone she keeps them locked in her bedroom. This could be as long as 10am-2am & then she's gone at 10am again. The dogs urinate on the carpet in her room & she never cleans it up. Then they spend all that time couped up in there with no fresh air. The smell is so potent it makes me nauseous. Is this causing any harm to the dogs? Breathing their own urin all day & night?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. I would definitely say that this is a poor environment they are living. It can eventually cause respiratory irritation. I am not a human doctor, but I would suspect it would be causing respiratory irritation to your roommate as well. That is probably not even the worse of it either. It doesn't sound like these dogs get much exercise or human interaction at all. I would say this is not a good living environment for them. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.
Hi Christina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jameson & Jax. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Jameson and Jax are doing and to see if you have any other questions.