Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My dog's base of her toe nails are a deep redish color, and

Customer Question

Hey! my dog's base of her toe nails are a deep redish brown color, and shes been biting at her front paws so much that the hair is slowly going away and her poop has been almost a liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Micha, and shes 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Micha,?
Customer: nope
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Micha has been chewing the feet and there is a red/brown color at the base of the nail, not to mention diarrhea. How long has this problem been occurring?

Also, you may receive an offer for a Premium Service phone call. This is automatically generated by the website and you do not have to accept it. I am able to answer your question via text only if you prefer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her diarrhea is very off and on, and it has been for the few months I've had her, she had a parasite that we got taken care of and it went away and now it's back. We've tried swapping foods.

A food allergy is very common in dogs under 1 year of age, so that would be high on the list of possibilities. I am curious, though, if a recheck fecal exam has been performed to absolutely confirm that all the parasites have been resolved?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nope, the vet said she should be fine so he didn't really care to. BUT I will request another one if you think I should?
Would a food allergy be a cause of her toes and feet?

It is most likely the parasite has resolved if it was properly treated, but it would be a shame if we started treating something different and it happened to be the same parasite this whole time. A recheck fecal exam is good medicine, but it might be correct that it completely resolved. A food allergy seems most likely in this scenario. This is a pretty common occurrence in a dog under 1 year of age and signs are often observed with loose stool and excessive itching (i.e. chewing/licking) of the feet. Other things such as vomiting can also be observed, but any combination of the above can be a food allergy. The chronic licking/chewing behavior can cause pigmentation of the nails (i.e. brown/red), but also a bacterial or fungal infection of the nails can cause that too as a result of all the chewing.

A good treatment approach would be to change the food to a hypoallergenic diet, which can only be purchased through a veterinarian, and foot soaks with an antibacterial/antifungal solution for 14 days. A diet trial takes a minimum of 1-2 months, but that would likely determine if the food is the root cause of this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any brands you recommend?
Also i read that her toes could be caused by a yeast infection, is that likely? should i have her checked for it?

A fungus/yeast organism is very likely. The question that also should be asked is, "How did it get there?" In many dogs it is from an underlying food allergy and disruption of the skin barrier from the chronic licking. There are only a few brands to choose from with a strictly hypoallergenic diet and these consist of Purina HA, Royal Canin Hydrolyzed, and Hill's z/d.

Do you have any other questions?

It was a pleasure to help you today. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with the service provided, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can dogs ever grow out of this? How likely is that and when should that be tested?

An allergy is not something they can unfortunately grow out of, but it can be easily managed by avoiding the foods that cause the issue. There is also the possibility of an environmental allergy, but she is a little young to expect this as the primary underlying issue. Her history of having diarrhea and young age makes her most likely fit a food allergy. The goal of doing a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet is to remove all foods that can potentially cause an allergy. You can then slowly integrate one ingredient at a time to see if she has an "itch response," which would indicate an allergy. It is better to do this now because as she gets older she may develop an environmental allergy, which will make testing for food issues more difficult.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry