Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Low Grade II Mast Cell Tumor on ear. Found Tumor on ear and

Low Grade II Mast Cell...
Low Grade II Mast Cell Tumor on ear. Found Tumor on ear and vet removed sent off for testing came back mast cell tumor grade II, the recommend taking most of the ear flap off staying it was fast growing. The removal was under 2 weeks ago. Worried about this being done so soon. Also how fast growing is this type of cancer.... she is a very healthy dog and we noticed the growth in April. Having doubts about the surgery being so soon.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We have never had any issues with her, she has been very healthy and has been on Science Diet dog food all of her life. She will be 10 years old in June. Her only issue is skooting
5/8/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very sorry to hear that a mast cell tumor has been found. Though given that it is a tumor that doesn't just grow a lump but spreads like tendrils through the tissue layers (which makes it high risk for recurrence and why the vet wants to take the flap off to get all those cancerous cells off), surgery sooner is better then delaying. Even if it is low grade and may take months as opposed to weeks to spread as a high grade would. Because if you act quicker and remove it now before it can spread up to the stalk of the ear and head (where there is little tissue to remove if we had to operate there and may even mean being inoperable should it reach there), then this could be curative for that tumor and removing an ear flap is a lot less invasive (so easier on her post op and likely to cost less due to being a shorter surgery then if the head was also involved) then when we have to operate on the body and remove whole layers of tissues to get these insidious tumors off.

So, while I appreciate it feels like things are moving fast, as long as she is otherwise healthy, then quick action is always advisable when it comes to mast cell tumors.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thanks for your help and easing our minds. We have a good vet but just wanted to get another opinion. It is so hard to put her into another surgery.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I know its difficult but it is the best option with its location at this point. And I am sure your vet like myself doesn't want you to risk delaying and it possibly spreading (since inoperable cancers that could have be removed if we acted sooner are always so heart breaking).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian