Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has repetitive behavior starting around two hours ago,

Customer Question
Dog has repetitive behavior...

Dog has repetitive behavior starting around two hours ago, like walking back and forth, then moving her head back and forth then doing it again

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound, its more of I cant stop kind of thing

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Cocoa, 9 chihuhua 6lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is cocoa?

9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about cocoa?

She was still eating and understands what you are saying but wont come to you or lay down at all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Benedetta, and I would like to help with Cocoa.

What you are describing is interesting, and definitely odd.

What I am most worried about is that this may be a pre-seizure behavior.

Can you stop her by talking to her, distracting her? is she responding to you at all?

what do her eyes look like? are the pupils large, or moving side to side independently from she is looking (nystagmus)?

If the behavior does not stop, I advice to take her to be seen tonight, if possible.

let me know if you ahve more details or more questions!

hope this helps!

Benedetta Sarno, DVM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she understands what you are saying to her. pupils look large but are not moving side to side. she is starting to slow down but I am worried

Ok Thanks! Iam glad to hear she is slowing down now, hopefully she will settle.

Take a short video of her behavior, it is helpful for further diagnosis.

and upload it if you can.

try shining a light in her eyes (a flashlight or the flashlight from your phone), and see if the pupils respond by getting smaller.

Also, if possible take her rectal temperature with a normal thermometer. The temp should be no ore than 102.5

if the pupils do not respond or the temp is up, then I would have her seen tonight.

Good morning, how is Cocoa doing today?

just curious!

hope she settled, but if this happens again, I would take a video, and then take her to be seen!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went to the store and got her some benedryl and gave just a little and her behavior changed dramatically in about 15 minutes. Gonna go to the vet but I think it was an allergic reaction to something

Now, that is interesting!

good call on trying Benadryl, glad it worked for her!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am just so happy she is better. I actually cried I was so worried, then I remembered my beagle had acted a little bit that way when a spider bit her. Anyway thank you for your help.

It certainly sounded pretty concerning! I'm impressed you figured it out!

You are most welcome, I am just happy to hear she is better!