Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 yr old dog has multicentric lymphoma, diagnosed almost

2 months ago. We currently...
My 8 yr old dog has multicentric lymphoma, diagnosed almost 2 months ago. We currently have hI'm on 30 mg prednisone per day. Which I chose over the 60mg per day the vet recommended. He seems to be doing ok except he just started pooping maroon colored feces. Does this mean his liver us shutting down? My vet is gone until next week (small town). Or is there something I need to do for him now?
5/6/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The maroon color suggests ulceration and bleeding into the gastrointestinal tract due to the large dose of prednisone which needs to be tapered down at this time; for example 15 mg daily for a week, then 7.5 mg daily for a week, then 7.5 mg every other day for two weeks, and then stop administering it. For now, please initiate an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg per pound of body weight twice daily or omeprazole dosed at 20 mg daily. If the bleeding continues, another vet should consider prescribing a "liquid bandage" for the GI tract called sucralfate (Carafate). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm not good at weights and measures. He's an 84 lb coonhound. so how much famotidine is that? I have it in the house since my husband takes ot on occasion at 20mg pills.

84 lbs x 0.25 mg/lb = 21 mg; practically speaking, 20 mg twice daily. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Tina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian