Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has an upset stomach he actually gets them pretty…

Customer Question
Hi there! my dog...

Hi there! my dog has an upset stomach he actually gets them pretty often and I don't know what I can do to make him feel better

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubba?

He walks pretty funny when he has an upset stomach like his back is arched

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of things that can cause this in your sweet Bubba. It may be that he is developing an Inflammatory bowel Disease which means that he may becoming allergic to some of the food he is ingesting. For now, follow these instructions when this happens:

Fast Bubba for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the distress has resolved, then wean him back onto regular food. If it persists especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as bloating , twisted stomach if he is a larger breed dog or Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Hopefully this is minor and Bubba will respond to this treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian