Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 yr old cocker spaniel has dry eyes..using artificial

8 yr old cocker...

8 yr old cocker spaniel has dry eyes..using artificial tears, goopy eyes..using antibiotic drops, very stiff walking as if back hurts, sleeps alot, not eating well..3rd dog passed away 1 month ago...could it all be depression?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Callie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about callie?

Suddenly developed dry skin with scaly spots,no luster to hair. we changed food to turkey based.

5/5/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Callie isn't doing really well at this time. Can dogs have decreased activity / appetite / etc... when some normal routines / interactions with other pets changes? Yes. A dog likes to have routines and when they are changed, they react to that. Losing a housemate is definitely a change of daily activities. I would expect Callie to have some changes due to this. The different thing here is that it is 1 month from that passing and in that time frame, most have adapted to new daily routines and have moved on. With what you're describing, she could have any number of issues going on ranging that could fit these signs. The best thing I can recommend is a check up with your vet so they can do a physical exam and most likely some blood work to start to figure out what else could be going on and how to address it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you. I will get her seen as soon as possible

That visit to your vet is going to be very key here. They will be able to again evaluate her and do some testing as I feel that the chance that this is a reaction to the loss of the other housemate that time ago just seems a bit far out. I'm hoping for the best for her!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian