Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dear Dog Veterinarian, We have a Smooth Collie named Darcy

Dear Dog Veterinarian,We have a...
Dear Dog Veterinarian,We have a Smooth Collie named Darcy who is just over 12 months old. Would it be ok to give him pig bones or any other types of bones to chew? I have been told to take care when giving dogs bones due to teeth fractures and splinting.I look forward to receiving your professional advice.Regards,
Anna
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/30/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

You are correct in asking the question and avoiding the pig bones or other animal bones if you are able. Regular bones such as ham or pork bones in particular should be avoided for numerous reasons including pancreatitis from the fat on the bone (more than other species), breaking off pieces of the bone and causing intestinal damage or even obstruction, and fracture of teeth which I see at least once monthly where a tooth requires extraction or root canal from chewing on these types of bones

I do advise avoiding all animal bones because of the risks above but pork bones in particular do cause the most amount of gastroenteritis and side effects due to the fat content of the animal

Hard treats to chew on that I like are dentastix, CET chews, rawhides, Zuke Z ridge bones, or even greenies which are all digestible if larger pieces are swallowed and less risk to fractured teeth as well. Please also avoid pig ears and cow hooves

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. Have a wonderful Sunday!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you so much Dr Altman for your thorough and informative reply. It was excellent and highly rated by Darcy and myself. I will definitely take your advice of what bones to avoid and the safer alternatives to consider. I want the best for Darcy and you have helped me tremendously.If I have any future queries or concerns, I will definitely get back in touch with you.With thanks and regards,Anna and Darcy
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian