Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has heart disease and has been on Vetmedin and 2.5mg

twice a day and Fortekor...
My dog has heart disease and has been on Vetmedin and 2.5mg twice a day and Fortekor 2.5mg once a day in the morning. Frusamide 40mg twice a day. She is now coughing A LOT. My vet told me to give her some Bisolven when she coulees to loosen the fluid in her lungs to allow her to cough it up more easily. I believe she has a collapsing trachea which I have been told is common in old dogs. Is there anything I can do for her to help relieve the coughing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she is 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She is not overweight and is also suffering from glaucoma. I take her for a short walk when she coughs a lot and it seems to help for a while.
4/30/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is her cough harsh or soft just now?

What is her weight?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Her cough is harsh and sounds painful as she has been coughing a lot in the past couple of weeks. Seems to be getting worse. She is about 8.5kg and is quite slim. Her gums and tongue are quite pink. Her heart rate is 90
ok

Hi again,

And is her breathing rate up as well (as that is a bigger concern with coughing just now)?

Her breathing rate is certainly faster than my other dogs. Hard to count as she is coughing at present. She is not panting
Probably in the low 30s

Thank you,

Now I am quite concerned bout your lass.

Her cough does raise worries of tracheal issues but if she has a dilated cardiomyopathy, the enlarged heart could be what is compressing the trachea to trigger this cough and making that worse. Of course, if she is breathing heavier (>30 breaths in a minute), there is concern that she has some tolerance to the Furosemide (even though she is on a huge dose) and fluid may be accumulating. With this in mind, as soon as her vet is open, you'd want her rechecked for both those concerns. If she has a lot of fluid, we may need her on the Furosemide every 8 hours and may even need to add a new diuretic to get that fluid reduced.

Otherwise, for the cough, if it is due to the heart compressing the trachea, treatment is limited. But if it is collapsing, then sometimes anti-inflammatory or antitussives (ie Codeine, Butorphanol, etc) drugs can help to reduce the associated inflammation and cough.

In the meantime, you can give her 1-2 ml of Bisolvin. Otherwise, we often will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Or you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. And if her breathing is severely elevated and it has been 8 hours since her last Furosemide you could try a half dose to see if we can get her more settled here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I have been giving her 2ml of bisolvin per dose. How often can I give this to her.

Hi again,

Usually we only use it every 12 hours, so you can use the honey or honey/glycerin options as needed in between doses.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian