Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well, I'm just an overly concerned mom. I have a shiba inu…

Well, I'm just an...

Well, I'm just an overly concerned mom. I have a shiba inu and i looked into his eyes about an hour ago, and one eye seems totally normal, but the other eye looks like it has just a bit of something. The best way i can describe it is "spot of uncleaned glass" it doesn't appear any specific color, just a small area that looks like a glass coffee table with a smudge on it. Being a shiba i know he's predisposed to glaucoma so im trying to find out if i should be taking him in right now, or if i'm getting to be a crazy pet parent

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's 3 years old, his last check up was in late november..Otherwise he is completely normal in all other aspects. he will be 3 in July anyway

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/21/2017
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Is the eye squinting at all? Any redness on the white part of the eye compared to the other?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other than noticing the glassy spot, no, his eyes seem normal. Theyre the same size, and i cant see any redness
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
his activity level is the same as always as well

Okay, great. They can get these cloudy spots on the cornea, and they are deposits that typically mean nothing and cause no problem. Sometimes they stay, sometimes they go. If the dog is not squinting or having eye discharge or redness, I would just ignore it. (Try your best... lol!) Nothing to worry about based on what you are describing. Hope that puts your mind at ease!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i send you a picture of it?

Can't tell from the photo. But it sounds like what I am describing, and it is very common, and would not cause a problem. Glaucoma does not cause cloudiness and would cause squinting and pain and redness.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian