Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate a dark chocolate bunny! Now what. She weighs 13

Customer Question

My dog ate a dark chocolate bunny! Now what. She weighs 13 lbs Yorkie.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minnie 3 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie?
Customer: She ate it about an hour ago. It was a hollow choc Easter bunny about half. Maybe the size of two 8oz choc bars.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you check how much that bunny weighed? It takes only ~1/3 ounce per pound of body weight (4+ ounces for Minnie) of dark chocolate to intoxicate a dog with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a 3.5 oz net wt. and she ate half

Thank you. She'll remain safe after ingesting just 1.75 ounces. It's not necessary to induce emesis or treat in any manner. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?