Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She is throwing up and pooping blood like diarrhea, She was

She is throwing up and pooping blood like diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She was find yesterday but I think she got hold of a chicken bone Sunday
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lady 3 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?
Customer: No she is usually happy and very hyper but I did see her drink a lot of water just now so she is taking water

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- How long has it been since the last time she vomited?

4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her gums or a light pink she up now drink water again and she just vomited again

1- She vomited the water she just drank?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just paid 5 for you to tell me to call you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This truly a rip off

Please disregard the phone request, this is sent automatically by the site, not me. I am sorry. We can continue on the chat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what's your response

Can you please answer the last 2 questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No and she is about 15 to 20 lbs

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). The fact that she ate a chicken bone we need to consider that the bone could be obstructed in her intestines. Or, there could be something else going on unrelated to the bone; in a puppy, we need to rule out ingestion of a foreign body, infection (parvo), parasites, etc. to name a few causes. The vomiting is a consequence of whatever is causing the inflammation. Unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home to determine the exact underlying cause. Lady will need a hands-on examination, x-rays and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test by a veterinarian. Strongly recommend having her checked as soon as you can if this is related to an obstructed bone the outcome could be fatal if she is not treated quickly. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as discussed above. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much I really appreciate your time and advice

You're welcome. Please keep me posted. Good luck! Sorry about the call solicitation.

Dr. Peter