How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29034
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend Thanks for helping... Here is the problem... I

Customer Question

Greetings my friend
Thanks for helping...
Here is the problem...
I have a 80 pound, 10yo german shepard. in good physical shape, Shane is his name.
He has scrached his left ear.
On the inside of the ear has a puss filled (Im guessing it puss) bubble.
It seems to be quite painful and bothers him alot. I don't have very much money.
Im asking for your advice. Shane does not have any social skills.
Meaning if I need to take him to a vet, they will have to put a muzzel on him,
and they will have to tranqulise him because he will freak out on them.
BTW I have been giving him 500mg amoxicillin every 12 hours for 4 days now.
Do I need to get him to the vet ASAP ? Several friends said I could try to lance it myself ?
that attempt could possibly save me some money.
I hear this injury is fairly common, Is it very serious.
Please tell me what I should do.
My e-mail addy is***@******.***
I have used your service 2 times. The first time it went smoothly, and was great advice.
the 2ed time i got no response for 30 hours, that didn't work out so well.
I need your help once again
Thanks alot...Shane (the dog) & Charlie
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Charlie. Unless he were bitten in his pinna (ear flap) that bubble isn't full of pus but, instead, bloody serum that has exuded from damaged cartilage. It has nowhere to go so it fills up the space between the cartilage and the skin. This bubble should be lanced and drained but then either a drain sewn in to establish continuing drainage or the space in which the fluid was should be sutured in a way that fluid can't fill it up again. This condition is called an aural hematoma and arises after the cartilage has been damaged - usually by my patient flapping his ears violently or scratching at them. A hunt for the underlying cause of such flapping or scratching should be made. An otitis externa - outer ear canal allergy and/or infection - is most common.

I understand your financial and logistical constraints. If nothing is done, the fluid eventually resorbs but leaves a "cauliflower/boxer's ear". The bubble can also enlarge and involve the entire pinnae. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.