Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dig just ate 10 - 15 dum dum lollipops. Looks like she

Customer Question

My dig just ate 10 - 15 dum dum lollipops. Looks like she only ate the candy but maybe some wrappers. None of the sticks. What shoukd I look out for. 5 1/2 month old catahoula. 25 to 30 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Krickett
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Krickett?
Customer: Nope pretty healthy , very food motivated. Obviously.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very glad to hear that Krickett has left the sticks since those are actually the biggest worry with these lollipops. In this case, we'd not be overly worried, but would want to start some supportive care to offset any GI upset but also make sure she passes any missing wrappers. To start, we will want to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push any wrappers through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting these slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes. If she is not showing any signs and since it sounds like we may just have a few wrappers for her to pass, then you can consider the above steps for Krickett while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs, then we'd want her checked but otherwise we'd hope to use the above to just push those wrappers through and offset any stomach upset over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I will go get food for her tonight. Much appericated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

All the best for Krickett,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )