Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My sons yorkie that is 10 yrs old has a teat that is really

Customer Question
swollen and looks blackish blue...
My sons yorkie that is 10 yrs old has a teat that is really swollen and looks blackish blue. She also has a small nodule about 2in from it. What do you think it is?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Holly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: not that I can think of she seems to be fine, eats and drinks fine
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry that Holly has these changes. I would encourage a veterinary exam and likely removal of these areas as they are a concern for mammary cancer. Even a spayed female can have this potential abnormality and studies have shown that aspiration or poking with a needle will not differentiate from benign mammary growths versus cancerous ones so any new grows that are associated with the mammary chain should be removed and pathology done to determine the level of concern

The discoloration is also a worry and the more quickly these are removed the less chance for spread but also ulceration and irritation from chewing

I don't want to frighten you, if small and removed promptly these are often not a longterm concern even if cancerous but should be removed without haste

Please let me know how else I can assist you today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian