Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog been crippling all winter .. more so on hind leg

Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My dog been crippling all winter .. more so on hind leg treating her for arthritis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She will be 9 next month
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No other then that she is a little overweight

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this issue. I too have a senior dog that has arthritis and understand how challenging it is to see them struggle with discomfort and weakness

There are so many options available to us now to help our beloved four-legged friends outside of the normal nonsteroidals (rimadyl, previcox, metacam, deramaxx). I will list them individually but all can be used in combination to assist your dog in getting comfortable

1.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially

2.) Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed

3.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable to build strength. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions

4.) Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

5.) Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort

6.) Depending on your pet's size, a help em up harness that is used to support standing and moving to minimize injury to your back but also prevent further injury to you pet. http://helpemup.com

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Been giving her glucosamine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is about 65lbs pit bull

Yes glucosamine will help slow the degeneration of joints but will not do anything for inflammation nor pain managment

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything over the counter I can give her for pain
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's cold here so it bothers her more

Ideally I would discuss gabapentin with your vet, it is inexpensive and most effective for senior pets

The only safe pain medications for dogs is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours (one adult 325 mg enteric coated formula) with food but please this is only for short term use not chronic issues

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also massage the area and rotate warm and cool compresses in 10 minute intervals if your pet will allow it to provide relief

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok .. will try that and massage it .. she likes it when I do that.. so it do help .. I give her her glucosamine 2 times a day in morning and at night

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you .. I will keep her harness on her help her up as well...

You are welcome, good luck to you and your senior friend

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Excellent!

Thank you for your kind words, I will send the question to customer service in order to rate with the stars since you are having difficulties...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is still same .. I was wondering if I have gabapentin 100mg how much would I give to a 65 lb dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My husband has some for his back.. research it says it's same what they use for dogs

I would definitely talk to your veterinarian before starting it because if you are using your own you cannot discontinue abruptly after starting it so you will need a refill

Starting with one capsule twice daily or even three times daily (every 8 hours) if you are home during the day

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok..how would one a day work

The short action of the medication it really does need to be at least twice daily, every 12 hours

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok that would work.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have 180 pills
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How should I start weening her off.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Once I start her

Ideally she should be on this if she has chronic pain. If you elect to wean her off it will be tapered to once daily with at least 2 weeks left before discontinuing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok..
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much!

You are very welcome, good luck to you both :)