Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have 3 dogs. ..approximately 12 yrs old. Last week one

We have 3 dogs. ..approximately 12 yrs old. Last week one dog started having seizures and assumed its from old age. Then the largest dog yellow lab/golden retriever mix started having seizures past Saturday morning. She still throwing up, won't eat, and can no longer stand on her own. The seizures got worse and mire often thru the weekend. We r pretty sure a neighbor has poisoned them. What should we look for as possible poison? Both dogs were extremely lethargic, lots of vomiting, and urinating where they lay for 2 days prior to the 1st dogs seizures? Please guide me in some direction as to what to give still sick dog who will barely lift her head. My heart is broken...please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: No we didn't. Sickness started at same time but seizures worse on large dog and still very ill
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Nothing out of ordinary.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is anyone there?

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get assistance from a Just Answer e pert before now.
The most common poison that would cause seizures are strychnine and Tomcat rat poisone (bromethalin). Antifreeze can cause kidney failure and vomiting but not usually seizures.
The best thing for a sick dog that can barely lift her head would be IV fluid therapy to try to flush out the toxins. Can you take her to your veterinarian ? Sadly, if this is strychnine, antifreeze or bromethalin, there is not much you can do at home. Even at the clinic with drugs, antidotes and fluids, we struggle to save these dogs that are poisoned by these.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about a diuretic for human use was given to them? Would that also cause the vomiting and uncontrollable urinating they both suffered prior to seizures?

A diuretic would not cause seizures, and would not last more than 8 hours. Diuretics can cause dehydration, excessive drinking, but not usually vomiting.

Antifreeze can cause vomiting and uncontrollable urination initially.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know what to do! She just started seizure again and most violent so far. Im very limited on money to take to vet office. She's still very stiff and breathing very heavy

If you want to save her, she needs to go to a veterinarian. I could not treat this dog at home; even saving her in a vet clinic might be difficult. There is nothing you can do at home, I am so sorry to say.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you for your time and knowledge. Please pray for my Baby Foxy

You are welcome. I certainly will.

Have you tried your local shelter? Some shelters offer low cost treatment, or know where to get it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will contact them. That's where I found her at hopefully they can help. Thank you again
https://www.youcaring.com/blog/2016/need-help-with-vet-bills
That is a link to places that can help with vet bills
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?