Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is moping around, no energy and whimpers occasionally.

Customer Question
Eats and drinks well and...
Dog is moping around, no energy and whimpers occasionally. Eats and drinks well and goes to the bathroom as normal...started suddenly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hansel, about 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hansel?
Customer: No, he is usually very healthy and active....
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry no one answered your question earlier.

What breed of dog is Hansel?

What color are his gums?

Have you taken his temperature?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he on flea and tick preventative?

Hansel is part Miniature Dachshund/ Chiwawa...His gums are brownish Red, more brown on the bottom, pink on top. We have not taken his temperature, no vomiting or Diarrhea, He is on preventive medicine - Tri-fexis, which he just took a couple of days ago......No my wife says he is laying still,but his stomach and leg muscles are twitching...
I meant to say Now my wife says.... Sorry

Thank you for that information. I am typing your answer now. Did this start when you gave the trifexis?

So, one of the side effects of Trifexis is lethargy and you should contact your Vet if there is a correlation between when this started and when you gave the medication.

I would definitely take the pups temperature rectally and take the other vital signs to determine emergency status. I will direct you to a link that goes over how to do all of this. Very important is gum color, gums should be a nice pink, and the capillary refil time which is explained in the link below. This will give you a base line of potential need for a vet visit.

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

He took the trifexis on Friday, this started Monday morning...

I would bring that to your Vet's attention and this can be done by phone. Also examine for any rash on the body.

With this breed of dog. another cause which will show lethargy or change in movement behavior is a disc issue along the spine.

If the dog is suddenly not jumping on furniture, walking gingerly, there is a slight arch to the back, then I would suspect a disc issue.

Of course it is also the season for tick borne illnesses and one bite from a deer tick can still cause lyme disease. Many of the flea and tick meds don't prevent bites, they only kill the parasites after they have bitten, so Lyme disease is still a possibility, This will cause joint and body aches as well as lethargy. To know for sure a blood test would have to be done and antibiotics started immediately.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian