Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog is throwing up mini snickers wrappers. Can't tell if

Customer Question

Our dog is throwing up mini snickers wrappers. Can't tell if it's just the wrapper (he gets into the trash) or the whole snickers. Is this an emergency?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Other than snickers with wrapper? I don't think so.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog? OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do.
Customer: He's a 22 pound Maltese mix
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sammy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago would you estimate Sammy could have gotten this?

Was it the 250g fun size one?

Did his vomit look chocolate colored?

Can he keep water down?

How is he otherwise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was the fun size. I think more than one. Vomit looked like the wrapper with some additional chocolate. He seems to be keeping water down. He was very lethargic but is now perking up. Seems to be much better.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I have just received your reply and will type one quickly back just now.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Now if you saw some chocolate in the vomit, we have to tread with care. One snickers fun size is a moderate to severe dose for him, but if he had potentially more than one we have to assume the worst. And I would note this can cause vomiting as you have seen but also diarrhea, changes to the breathing and heart rate, tremors and sometimes seizures.

Now if you aren't sure when he had this and how much, we are best having him seen by the ER vet now. Otherwise, we need to be proactive. If he had this in the past 2 hours, we can induce vomiting to get the rest out. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if it has been >2 hours but <8 hours, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a concern since we are seeing hints of chocolate and there is risk of more than one. So, even if he seems to feel a bit better, we need to tread with care. Especially as the more severe signs don't usually start until ~12-36 hours after ingestion. So, the above needs to be used now or we'd want his vet to see him for decontamination and fluids to head off any harm.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )