Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Panting, restless, pacing, won't settle down...usually she

Customer Question

panting, restless, pacing, won't settle down...usually she sleeps well at night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bama and age 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bama?
Customer: chronically elevated ast or alt for years but vet says not really an issue at this time. shes done this 3 or 4 times over past 2 years. i take her to emerg vet and after $1000+ of tests theynfind nothing wrong. just say watch out for Cushings as she gets older. shes overweight. last bout of this was about 6 months ago. thought it was pain so put some narcotic gelnon her ear as per vet instructions. nothing. gave her a hydroxazine to try to calm her down. nothing helps.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: sorry. accidentally closed you a sec ago....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Bama, please?

Please note that although nothing was diagnosed 6 months ago, her behavior may not be due to what was going on 6 months ago this time around. Please let me know if her restlessness in the past has always occurred at night.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It usually happens at night. In fact it always has. I have her at her vet right now and they are to check her out and see what they can find.

Thank you. If nothing can be found, consider sundowner's syndrome - a form of cognitive dysfunction in dogs and humans. It's conjectured that the dark and quiet of night magnifies the sensory loss in these patients which results in their anxiety and subsequent aimless wandering. Other indications of cognitive dysfunction include disorientation, changes in social and interactive behavior - becoming "needier" or, conversely, more aloof - changes in locomotor and sleep cycle behaviors, and loss of housetraining. Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your input. I will bring this up with Bama's vet.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.