Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Has been very lethargic since the late afternoon. He is

Customer Question
Henry has been very lethargic...
Henry has been very lethargic since the late afternoon. He is shaking on an off not eating or drinking too much. He just threw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No he is in generally good health. He is due to see our vet this week.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Henry is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Of course this sort of situation is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said episodes of vomiting are quite common in the dog and most cases are not so serious and there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting their local vet involved. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, the amount you give depends on the size of the dog, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for toy breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Henry's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Henry is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian