Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I am not sure if my dog is vomiting or pooping blood its

I am not sure if my dog is vomiting or pooping blood its foamy. She's eating and drinking just fine. Should I rush to the emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't believe so
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Miley 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miley?
Customer: No other then that she's fine

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Miley. What breed is she? Do you see any blood around the rectum or on the underside of the tail?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's a Yorkie. She has something going on with her paw as well (I found a lot of blood on her paw). No blood around her rectum
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I take her to the emergency vet now or can I take her to her vet in the am?

The blood on the paw could be some of what you found just getting onto that paw. IF there is an actual wound on the paw, then could it have bled so much and she ingested it to make her nauseated to bring it up? It would seem unlikely. That is some very hemorrhagic material. Given what you're seeing, I would be suspect for a situation called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). I would recommend a trip to the ER so they can determine where it is coming from and then start up therapy. She's a little girl and hydration is a big issue with it. I would be most suspicious she vomited it up.

I don't like to wait on the HGE cases / cases where this type of material is being seen. They may not look that bad at this time, but in a few hours they may start to get really down and dumpy due to dehydration. A lot of times they are vomiting and losing fluids from both ends.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this from something she may have eaten ?

With the true cases of HGE, we don't know what causes it at this time. So could it have been from something she ate? Maybe. We just don't know. Typically at my ER, I do see some times of the year where we seem to have more cases, but it isn't like it is a break out of cases. Usually single dogs in a house are affected and not other housemates.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay Thank you so much.. I will be taking her now

That will be the best for her! I'm hoping for the best for her. Here is a link on the HGE.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2946