Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My golden retriever has a black wart like lesion on his paw

My golden retriever has a black wart like lesion on his paw pad which has bled and is tender to touch. I have trimmed the hair around it and taken a picture but am worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your golden retriever?
Customer: Otherwise healthy 8 years old

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about your dog. Can you post your picture here, using the paper clip icon?

How long has this lesion been there?

The best way to tell what any lesion or growth is would be some kind of biopsy. I usually start with FNA, fine needle aspiration. Your veterinarian inserts a sterile needle into the black lesion to get cells to examine microscopically. Once you know what this is, you know the best treatment.

If it is small, I would consider removing it; that would stop the bleeding and you could sent the whole thing to a lab to find out what it is.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure how long it's been there. I found some blood on the sofa which I thought initially was from my20 year old cat. Anyway I couldn't find anything on her so checked over Bear the dog and found blood on his paw and noticed the lump.

Thanks for the picture. Probably the best thing to do is remove this lump; that will allow you to stop the bleeding, and to get a biopsy. If the biopsy tells you this is benign, then once he heals, he should be fine. If the biopsy says it is cancer, but that the surgeon got "clean margins", then surgery may be a cure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do dogs get benign warts in that area?

Dogs will get viral warts, which are benign and will go away with time, but they don't usually look like this. This is some kind of growth, but could be benign.

It could be a benign adenoma, a benign melanoma, or it could be cancer. It does not look like a true wart.

This is what a wart looks like on a dog, usually not black:

https://www.nzymes.com/dog-health/infection-types-treatments/papillomas/copv-oral-papilloma-warts-or-growths-in-dogs/

They don't usually bleed either. But warts will go away on their own after a few weeks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Rebecca I'll take Bear to the vet next week. I didn't know you could get an adenoma on the paw pad.

You are welcome! Please let me know what you learn.

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?