Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate a foam football last night, His name is Brutus,

Customer Question

My dog ate a foam football last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** about 7 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brutus?
Customer: English bulldog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did he eat the entire football?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any lack of appetite?

Any abdominal pain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe he ate the entire football as I couldn't find anything other that scraps around the room
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was slow to eat this morning, but he did finish his food
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. What about any vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No vommit
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No signs of diarrhea
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No indication of abdominal pain
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not with him right now as I had to come to work
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. If he did ingest that, the concern now is that it causes an obstruction. If he was my dog, I would actually induce vomiting now because part of the football may still be in the stomach. The more you can get out, the better. You can induce vomiting with 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 lbs of body weight. That can be repeated once in 10 minutes if there is no vomiting. If you are not able to get home to do that or have someone who may be at home to do that, you can always try when you get home. As long as he is eating and not vomiting, you don't need to rush him to the vet, even if he doesn't vomit up any of the football. If he starts to vomit on his own, though, stops eating or has abdominal pain, then it most likely has caused an obstruction and chances are he would need surgery before it causes damage to the intestinal tract. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I should induce vomiting when I get home even if he seems fine and is still eating?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

I probably would in case there is still part of the football in the stomach. If there is, then it can still get into the small intestinal tract and cause an obstruction later. It would just be a precaution. If you don't see any football in the vomit, then I would still monitor him if he seems fine and is still eating. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If he has not produced any feces by the time I get home is this a sign that there is blockage?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will I need to watch him after attempting to induce vomiting? I have a lunch break at 2, but it's only for an hour
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

No, it isn't. He most likely would still have feces from food he ate 1-2 days ago that is finished processing. It is difficult to judge the likelihood of an obstruction on the bowel movement. If you induce vomiting, you do not have to watch him after that. He should really vomit within 10 minutes. Most dogs won't vomit more than 2-3 times after peroxide. They are usually fine after. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the best way to administer the hydrogen peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

I will just use a tablespoon with my dogs, but they will take it from me well and not fight me. Beyond that, a medication dosing syringe would be the next best option. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I was just follow up to see how Brutus is doing and to see if you have any other questions.