Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

2 of our 3 dogs have been vomiting and not eating. Stared

Customer Question

2 of our 3 dogs have been vomiting and not eating. Stared with 1 dog yesterday then the other today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we can find. The only thing that is curious is they both were digging in the middle of a pompous grass plant.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: One is about 6 (Rockwiler mix). The other is 11 (Yellow Lab).
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about One?
Customer: Not other than lab being old they are normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What are they bringing up in his vomit?

Can they keep any water down?

Are their gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on each dogs' belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could they have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only thing is that they were dig and rooting inside of pompano grass plant. Just read the it is toxic to dogs. Maybe ate some roots or something?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Just since you have changed your spelling there, do you mean it was Pampas Grass?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pampas Grass. ASPCA lists it as non-toxic but several other site say it is very toxic.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Pampas Grass is not toxic but if they eat enough it can cause gastritis in dogs. So, it could be our culprit of they had a lot. Otherwise, given that we have 2 affected, this suggests an infectious issue (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa) or a shared exposure (potentially related to the plant).

In any case, since they don't have those other signs I asked about we can try some home supportive care to try to settle their stomachs and get them eating. To start, if they haven't just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest their stomachs for a few hours first), then you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if either lad has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if they can't keep it down then that is usually a red flag that we need to have your vet start injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free).. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut; which means more nutrients in and less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for vomiting dogs, we need to keep an eye on hydration here. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure neither dog has sunken eyes or a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have them seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we do need to tread with care with your wee ones. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care just now. Though if either dog cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get your vet involved. They can assess hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in either dogs' stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, they can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud for them both.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )