Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can not hold food down for three weeks, A 4 year old

Customer Question

Can not hold food down for three weeks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 4 year old terrier. Her name is Scruffles
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scruffles?
Customer: Just that she cannot take oral antibiotics because she cannot keep it down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dog is lethargic. Tail doesn't wag anymore. She is scare to eat because she is scared to vomit. I have been forcing 13ml vial of 4-5ml baby food with 8-9ml of beef broth. Doing this ever 1.5-2 hrs for the last 3 days and it seems to agree within her
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have taken her to 2 different vets. Both prescriber oral antibiotics for a dog that cannot hold them down
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Showing signs since April 3rd
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She can keep some water down, yes. About 50-75% of what she drinks she can keep down
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gums are a bit tacky. Eyes are not sunken in.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A little bi if diahrrea but could that be because if the switch to baby food?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Poor lass, three weeks of being too nauseous to keep any food down would certainly cause weakness and potentially dehydration and weight loss.

Now I have to say that while antibiotics are all fine and food for infection, we do need her local vets to be starting her on anti-nausea medication before that. Because as you noted, she isn't going to be able to take them if we don't get her stomach settled. With that in mind, it would be best to have her vet start an injectable anti-nausea medication by injection. Cerenia lasts 24 hour and that alongside a long term antibiotic injection could get us around this nausea and make a start of settling this for Scruffles.

Otherwise, you can at least try treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is again a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Or if we did have to keep pushing food, better options would be watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing (ie infection but also pancreatitis, foreign bodies, etc). Therefore, we’d want her vets or yourself to treat that nausea first as I noted. Once she is more settled, we will be in a better place to get food into her and even get her eating on her own. And of course, if her vets start those injectable options, we can get them to give fluids as well to rehydrate her as we fight this for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The second vet game her an I/d sensitive Care canned food. She is not at all interested. I want to puree the I/d canned food with broth and force it down but I'm just wanting to keep her from vomitnbg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

That is fine if they did, but again everyone needs to start with an anti-nausea treatment before we are giving any diet since it will do no good on its own. So, try one of the antacids I listed, else we need them using injectable anti-nausea medication to get this under control so we can help her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just administered a 10ml feeding of chicken broth with ~2ml of turkey baby food. She licked it up as I pushed It out and i did not have to open her jaws with my hands and force it down the back of her throat like I have almost every other time these last couple days. I will wait one hour to make sure she doesn't vomit as well as to give her some time to digest it before I administer another 6-7ml of broth with a gradually increased amount of turkey baby food. Would this be advisable in your opinion? She IS able to lap about about ~30 laps of fresh water and keep it down. I'm really worried about her hydration level and food intake.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Initially I was using beef broth to mix with baby food however I noticed the chicken broth has almost half as much sodium. should I concern myself with sodium?should I still be keeping her sodium low with hicken broth or should I use the higher sodium beef broth to try to balance her electrolytes lost through all the vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that she did take that for you. So, give her an hour break and then try some more and as you noted is fine. Though the above options I noted will be more balanced and nutritious for her, so do consider them. And yes, you do need to be concerned with the sodium intake since that can worsen her hydration. So, low salt broth only or you can dilute them with water or an electrolyte solution (which is balanced with more than sodium).

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also have unflavored pedialyte, should I try ntroducing the pedialyte in addition to the babyfood and broth feedings?
I'm trying to keep all food super bland and not introduce anything new that will trigger the vomit response
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that she did take that for you. So, give her an hour break and then try some more and as you noted is fine. Though the above options I noted will be more balanced and nutritious for her, so do consider them. And yes, you do need to be concerned with the sodium intake since that can worsen her hydration. So, low salt broth only or you can dilute them with water or an electrolyte solution like Pedialyte (which is balanced with more than sodium).

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will keep the low sodium chicken broth which has 390mg sodium for 1 cup serving size. I was thinking perhaps the beef broth with more sodium (700/cup) would help replenish electrolytes but I suppose it would ACTALLY only help to further dehydrate her so THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THAT UP. As I have stated previously her feedings are in needleless syringes (from the first vet, MONOJECT) that holds 13 milliliters so it's not like she's receiving a full one cup serving in a day, anyway. But I would be elated if pretty soon we could work our way up to a full cup serving over one day.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could help with that and hopefully we can get her up to 48ml per kilogram of her weight daily (her daily fluids requirement) but again try an antacid at the very least. If we can just allay her nausea, we could likely make better progress for her.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has only in the last two-three days been getting babyfood with beef or chicken broth. This is The first day of the 3rd week (day 15) that she has not been eating dry dog food because of the vomiting. Is this enough to sustain life? I would give her much, much more only since she has not been getting normal food amounts these past two weeks I'm afraid her stomach has shrunk in size and I do not want to push her size of her stomach, stectch it and make her want/need to vomit. Like I said she is extremely lethargic these two weeks. Laying around about 98% of the day, when she is healthy she is usually outside barking at birds and running around with her cats at least 4-5 hrs a day. Not including her 2-3X/week 5 mile bike ride (she jogs along side) with mY dad.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Its borderline, so hence why we need to get on top of her nausea so that more can be fed to her.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for that. My father has introduced a very, very small amount of diluted hydrogen peroxide (13ml of very watered down H2O2 each morning) to her the last three mornings and she has also been able to keep from vomiting. Is this advisable? Could it have adverse reactions? My dad has been taking it orally for two years and swears it is the sole reason his PSA (prostate antigen) level has gone down from 17.4 to 6.2 (over three blood panels, I've seen the proof from the dr's labwork). He prayed it would bring our sweet Scruffles some relief from the vomiting and so far it seems to perhaps be doing the trick. Before he introduced H2O2 she just kept vomiting 3-4X a day. We do not want to overdo it as too much of a good thing can be bad. Its just Water with an extra oxygen molecule, it delivers oxygen to where it is needed and bypasses anything that is not oxygen deprived. Its not conventional but it does seem to bring my sweet Scruff some relief from the otherwise constant vomit. She was not able to hold down the antiemetics prescribed by the first or second vets.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Absolutely not, peroxide is used to induce vomiting in dogs. So, he should not use this here at all for her. Instead, please use one of those over the counter antacids to help Scruffles or again her vet can give antiemetics by injection so she doesn't have to worry about keeping them down.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She just took some more broth and baby food, i just put it between her teeth on her togune and she just kind of took it down in a few unresistive swallows. hopefully she can keep all her feedings down today and will even have some more water. She is resting now, so I'll keep praying and comforting her. Thanks a lot for your time, I do appreciate all your responses
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Hopefully she can keep that down and will turn a corner here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Blood test results from seven days ago
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Blood test from seven days ago
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Xray from seven days ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Her bloods do suggest an infection, so I see why her vets want her on antibiotics, so again a long acting injectable one (even a every 2 days Amoxicillin) should be considered. Else the other signs support chronic vomiting and potentially GI protein loss (via kidneys is a concern too unless a urinalysis was done and found normal). And the xray isn't great for interpreting via photo (not to mention someone marking it makes it hard to appreciate any margins of what may be in that region). So, I would leave interpretation to the vet who has that xray and can examine it in person (though you could have them send it to a specialist radiologist for analysis) but she looks to be quite empty in her gut generally without much fat all of which isn't unexpected here. So, we do again need to treat the nausea and then consider long acting non-oral but injectable antibiotic to see if we can get her feeling better. But now I must be away to see my own patients for the rest of the afternoon.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.