Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

Bo (cocker spaniel) 10 yrs has Cushings disease abt 18mths.

Customer Question

Bo (cocker spaniel) 10 yrs has Cushings disease abt 18mths. on meds, good attitude, looks awful, hair loss neurological episodes, unable to close eyes, TMJ, eats poops and pees well. we are living with it. He is covered with fatty tumors, etc.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: think you answered wrong letter. The problem is BOs paws are swollen, pads like soft sacks of skin, growth between toes. he is not in pain.,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is on thyroid meds, vetoryl,60mg, apoquil ,zeniquin, his paws are to soft to take him for walks. we live in florida, he has a fenced yard.,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Sara, sounds like Bo has a lot of age related diseases you are trying to manage. Things can get complicated. So it sounds like the big problem right now is his paws. There are a couple things that i would consider when it comes to the pads of the feet. The first is chronic yeast infections due to allergic skin disease, another would be Demodex mite, and the 3rd would be an autoimmune condition. Also, we can check to see if Vetoryl has any side effects in terms of skin, but off the top of my head, not that I know of. Has he been checked for yeast and demodex?

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 5 months ago.

So, just looked and Vetoryl doesn't have and skin side effects listed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** was tested for yeast, mites, etc. I have confidence in my vet, I'm just looking for a magic cure. But as I stated his attitude is good. I just cant understand his swollen paws, like toes between toes, or walking on golf balls. but no complains from him.
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately there is no magic cure for skin disease. However, I would recommend a dose of Bravecto(3 month flea and tick prevention that will take care of a case of demodex) just in case there are undiagnosed demodex because they can be difficult to find in between the toes. I would also suggest something for yeast, If there are interdigital cysts, there is probably yeast. My favorite wipe is Douxo 3% PS pads. I use these on my dog who has skin disease and they help pretty quickly with his skin. You can order online easily. The other thing is that the skin may just be "exuberant" in these areas because of chronic skin disease...like a big callus. There is not much that can be done for that other than again, controlling any secondary problems like bacterial and yeast skin infections. Please let me know if you have any more questions, I enjoy talking about options for skin disease. Thank you

Dr. Sara

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 5 months ago.

Thank you again and have a nice night.

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Sara