Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog can't open her eyes properly - one is completely

Customer Question

Hello my dog can't open her eyes properly - one is completely closed, the other is rolled up inside her eye and we can only see the whites. she's had a walk this morning (with one eye working). Our vets is closed - is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: !?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: the problem is her eyes - but I should check her foot?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Holly, aged 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Holly?
Customer: no she's generally fine and in good health
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The phone number is ***** correct (I'm in the UK) so pls email any advice
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that sweet Holly is having these difficulties. It appears to me that she is having a neurologic issue that is causing this eye issue. I say this because if there were an eye infection, there would be a yellow discharge and this is not the case. This can happen with a stroke, a brain defect or liver disease. For now, until you can have your vet examine sweet Holly, give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as she is still eating. This will reduce any inflammation that could be causing this defect and her distress. Your vet will want to perform a neurologic exam as well as blood work to rule out liver disease. In some case, if the brain defect is suspected, only an MRI can tell your vet what is happening and how best to treat your gal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there is a bit of yellow discharge in one eye so I have washed it out with some eye drops. We'll be seeing the vet first thing in the morning. Thanks

Good for you...that will help....I hope Holly will be ok! I am so happy that you will have your vet check her. That will tell you how best to treat her.