Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

Oh. She's a about 9 years old and she suddenly started

Oh. Hi. She's a ***** ***** about 9 years old and she suddenly started favouring her left hind leg. Doesn't seem to be in any pain. Her leg just seems weak and non weight bearing. No swelling no nothing. She's getting around but keeping that leg off the ground. I was just seeing if it might be a common thing that will eventually heal or if I should take her the vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. Nothing. No prickles, woulds, swelling or anything.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Russell?
Customer: Her name is***** no. Nothing else.

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice, hopefully I might be of some help, one moment while I write my reply...

With this history I'm going to worry about two things. 1) A Luxating Patella. This is a knee cap that slips out of place causing a lameness like this. Not typically a painful issue but will cause a functional lameness. 2) A torn ACL in the knee. This may cause a similar non-weight bearing or toe-touching lameness in the hind leg.

If you've not become aware of a luxating patella issue at Sophie's age and had her your whole life, then I'm going to be concerned about an ACL tear until a physical examination indicates otherwise. The patella issue is commonly a life-long problem, so you likely would've dealt with it already. ACL tears are common in dogs and wouldn't produce swelling that you'd notice, but often it produces some swelling that a vet can pickup on physical examination.

I wouldn't suggest any pain meds OTC for dogs. I would suggest you rest her overnight, and if she allows it ice her knee for 10-15 minutes. Wrap the ice in a cloth to be sure it's comfortable. Then get her in to your vet during regular hours for an examination.

A physical examination should decipher which of these seems more likely, vs. something else causing the lameness. It is always possible she had a minor sprain and may be improved by tomorrow, but I'd still suggest having her looked at. A luxating patella can be diagnosed easily on examination. Torn ACLs are often suspect by not proven until the dog is put under light sedation and x-rays are obtained to rule out other issues.

Hopefully this advice is of some help to you. If you have further questions don't hesitate to write me back.

Otherwise, kindly give me a rating using the stars so that I will get credit for helping you out with your question today.

-Dr. Peck

.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Samuel Peck