Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 12-13lb chi mix just ate her dosage of Bravecto and then

Customer Question

My 12-13lb chi mix just ate her dosage of Bravecto and then stole and ate my large dog dosage (55-88lb doage)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Emily she is almost 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emily?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Emily decided to eat your other dog's Bravecto but this amount of additional drug shouldn't be toxic for her. Dogs receiving up to 5X their recommended dose often developed diarrhea, mucoid, and bloody feces.

By my calculations, Emily received about this amount of drug if you combine the dosage she ate for her size (250 mg) and the one for your larger dog (1000 mg).

It's definitely not going to be a fatal dose but she may have some looser stools in 12-24 hours or so. If the symptoms aren't too bad, then you can treat with a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice as well as a probiotic such as Forti Flora (which may be available at local pet or grain stores or online). It's possible that she may need stronger drugs from your vet if the diarrhea lasts for more than a few days or is excessively bloody.

You could induce vomiting if you wanted and if you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle). The dose would be 1 teaspoon mixed with bread or yogurt (or something similar). Walk her around and repeat the dose one time in 15 minutes, if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

I hope this helps. Deb