Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog's lip is swollen a little bit on one side although her behavior hasnt changed. She was itching alot so i gave her a

Her lip is swollen a...
Her lip is swollen a little bit on one side although her behavior hasnt changed. She was itching alot so i gave her a benadryl. The itchinessseems to have gona away but her lip is still a little swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: yeah id love too only its easter tomorrow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Is this a real person im talking to?
JA: I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I havent given her any flea medication is anout two weeks.
Her eating habits and playful nature has nt changed. The benadryl helped a little with the swelling but not all the way. She is 7 years old and a spaniel/markiesje mix
She is also licking her paws alot again
4/16/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has she had these signs?

What dose of Benadryl did you give?

What is her weight?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

I was out of town for about 36 hours and I noticed when I got back. her weight is about 15 lbs and I gave her 25 mg of Benadryl at about 3 pm on 4/15/17. it seems to be better this am. I just didn't know if I should give her more Benadryl since it worked or wait until/if the symptoms return. thank you very much. sorry this was the best picture I get, I live alone and she doesnt sit still. I wasn't here for 36 hours so I dont know if she got stung by something, Or if she got into something when my friend walked her while I was away. Usually I notice anything and everything.

No worries, I know that dogs can be challenging models.

Anyway, to see all of her signs do raise an allergic reaction, possibly from an insect sting at the lip region to start. Of course, our other concern for the lip changes on their own would also be bacterial infection of the tissue. Now given the continued swelling and paw licking (suggesting she does still have some irritation), we'd want to keep up on that dose of Benadryl but give it every 8 hours for the next 24-48 hours. As we do that, we can gently salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) the inflamed lip for her. And if she scratches the area, we may need to put an ecollar on her. If she settles with these over the weekend, we are happy. Though if this lingers, then we'd want her vet to check as we may need a short course of antibiotics +/- a steroid to counter infection and get this fully settled for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!!!!!

You are very welcome,my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian