Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10.5 year old Boxer has DM and s deteriorating quickly.

Customer Question
My 10.5 year old...

My 10.5 year old Boxer has DM and s deteriorating quickly. His back end is weak and he has some trouble walking. He is still eating welll and eliminating outdoors, although he does so as he walks. However, he still seems to enjoy many moments in his life. He seems to have adapted to lying and chewing on a bone instead of fetching (also because he has receding gums and can't hold much in his mouth) and he seems happy to just be with his family, go for walks and drives, etc. We see the disease progressing and don't know when it would be more humane to let him go. He hasn't given us any indication that he is giving up. We don't want to wait until he collapses because that would make him suffer.I know each dog is different, as is each dog owner... when is it generally the most humane time to let him go?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

A couple of weeks ago we noticed his knuckles bleeding.. we treated it and it has not recurred. h\e does walk on his back knuckles so we keep him on the grass as much as possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boxer's name?

Chef. He was a showdog in his prime - a Canadian and American Grand Champion. He is otherwise very fit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chef?

I don't think so. He is still very affectionate... more needy for pats than before. he is drinking a lot of water.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 year ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian. I'm very sorry to hear that Chef is having some health problems. I would like to talk to you about whats been going on and help answer your questions. Please let me know when you are available to talk. Thank you.