Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

MY 7 YR OLD RIDGEBACK WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HEART DISEASE- THE

VET WANTED $450 PER MONTH...
MY 7 YR OLD RIDGEBACK WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HEART DISEASE- THE VET WANTED $450 PER MONTH TO PUT HIM ON VETMEDIN OR SHE SAID TO SKIP THIS STEP WE CAN PUT HIM ON ENALAPRIL AND IT WILL BE $65 PER MONTH.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I ASKED HER TO TREAT HIM SO HE DOES NOT SUFFER IN PAIN OR BREATHING, WILL THE ENALPRIL HELP WITH THIS
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: SARGE
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about SARGE?
Customer: NO
4/9/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sarge. It's important to have his vet clarify which type of heart disease is present. For example, does Sarge suffer from a dilated cardiomyopathy (a heart muscle disease), myxomatous valve disease ("leaky valves"), or, instead, an arrhythmia (irregular heart rate)...or some combination of the above. Pimobendan and enalapril work very differently. Pimobendan can enhance enhance cardiac contractility, slow the heart rate, and vasodilate vessels which makes it easier for blood to return to and leave the heart. Enalapril is an ACE inhibitor which can lower systemic blood pressure. These drugs mustn't be chosen predicated upon cost but how they might be of value to Sarge. Please press his vet for a firm diagnosis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

IM PNLY QUESTIONING THE MONEY DUE TO IT BEING ONLINE FOR $80. BUT THATS BESIDES THE POINT. RIGHT NOW I RETURNED FROM THE VET WITH ENALAPRIL. HE HAS AN ENLARGED HEART, IT HAS ENLARGED DRASTICALLY SINCE DEC. THE VET SAID TO PUT SARGE ON THIS MED FIRST, THEN WE WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO PUT HIM ON LASIX NEXT-IM ASKING IF IM HURTING HIM MORE BY NOT PUTTING HIM ON THE VETMEDIN-AM I SKIPPING A STEP
IS HE GOING TO SUFFER BECAUSE I CANT AFFORD $450 A MONTH FOR THE VETMEDIN

I'm going to conjecture that a heart that has enlarged drastically in just a few months represents a dilated cardiomyopathy in a ridgeback. This heart muscle disease is addressed best with not only enalapril but also pimobendan (Vetmedin). I understand your financial constraints, however. If I had to choose between the two drugs, I would choose pimobendan but that's a moot point if you can't afford it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

IF IM ABLE TO GET IT FROM PETMEDS AND HE IS ON BOTH, THAT WOULD BE BEST- CORRECT-THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IF I BUY IT ONLINE

Correct. By all means ask for a script that you can send to an online pharmacy...and you should price Costco for these drugs too.

OK, THANK YOU SO MUCH

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian