Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have noticed some strange behavior in my dog. To run

Hello,I have noticed some strange...
Hello,I have noticed some strange behavior in my dog. To run through events, he had a pretty big breakfast of his normal kibble and some chicken and played around shortly after that before i remembered he just ate. After taking a potty break outside, once he comes back inside he seemed fine. Now, hours later, he visibly seems tired or fatigued. He's now walking around with his head down and moving very slowly. I inspected his paws and generally tapped and rubbed his body to make sure he was okay and nothing. The internet is horrible giving me so many inaccurate causes that i ended up thinking he had an upset stomach and took him outside where he pooped again. Even after all that he is still walking with his head down and doesn't show the energy he always normally has and I don't want to brush it off if its something very serious. Any idea what may be going on?
4/7/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you check his gums for me and tell me what color they are and how they feel to the touch?

Can you see if he will take a treat from you?

Last thing can you very gently move his head all the way up, all the way to the right then the left and all the way down? Stop if he resists or shows any sign of pain.

His gums are pink and i didn't get to feel all of them but for the most part they feel similar to how mine do.
I offered him some and he mainly licked it into his mouth instead of attempting to bite it
Standing in front of me , i raised his head up and he was fine, to my left he was fine but once i tried moving his head to my right i heard him whine and he turned his head back

Ok so the reason I was asking if you could manipulate his neck gently was because from what you described above he may have hurt his neck or spine. Generally in a younger dog this is usually a soft tissue injury and with some rest and pain medications they are back to rights in 24-48 hours but we need to restrict activity for at least a week ( not running, jumping on and off things etc).

Also being a a Yorkie he may also have a slight upset stomach from his big breakfast. These little guys can get gastroenteritis +/- pancreatitis fairly easily.

So he could potentially have 2 issues going on right now.

We have 2 courses of action we could pursue depending on what you are comfortable with.

1. Take him into the veterinarian tonight at the emergency clinic to be assessed and have his neck examined with an orthopedic exam for both neck and spine and potentially some blood work checked to screen for early pancreatitis then medications to go home

2. Restrict his activity tonight and only offer some chicken and rice (bland diet) and just a little bit tonight and then tomorrow get him to your regular veterinarian for an exam +/- diagnostics and medications

He sounds like he is some amount of pain but stable so either option is viable.

Good luck with Prince

Let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be more than happy to assist you.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Do you have any Pepsid at home ? I just had a thought we can try some antacids for him so if his tummy is bothering him it could work.

Poor little guy. I think I'll restrict his activity tonight, give him an antacid and take him to a vet tomorrow or let his actual owner handle things. Thank you for taking the time to respond, your help is greatly appreciated. Do you have any tips on how to give him an antacid? I work with dogs so generally when it comes to their meds we coat it in a treat or something like that.

With cheese or peanut butter or with your finger down the hatch. Approximately how much does he weigh and I can get you a dose.

I weighed him and he's 11.5lbs

Ok so he can have 1/2 of a 10mg Pepsid every 12 hours

Pepsid tablets come in 10 and 20 mg sizes

The generic drug name is famotidine (cheaper than the brand name)

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Sounds good. I just gave him a tab and once my mother came home and I told her about your advice and his current condition he seemed okay. I'll make sure he gets a lot of rest and continue to let him know everything will be fine. Thanks again for your time and effort. I will definitely rate you for your work.Have a wonderful evening
If anything else comes up I will be sure to contact you. Thanks once again.

You are very welcome good luck!

Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Prince. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian