Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is about 4 month and is a boy dog and is a boxer

Customer Question
Hello. My dog is...

Hello. My dog is about 4 month and is a boy dog and is a boxer /mixed and we keep him outside.. he recently went to get a shot on Saturday (I didn't go with them so I don't know exactly which one but it would have been his first shot) (they did tell my brother that he would be lazy with that shot but he is very skinny cause he doesn't eat) on Sunday he was doing okay actin normal and then the last few days he has become very very weak just sleeps all day doesn't want to eat or drink anything . He would vomit but it would be just saliva his pee was just clear but does have diarrhea .. now he slowly gets up to want to drink water but is very weak to open his mouth .. what should we do??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No we just give him puppy food .. the shot I believe was parvo shot for outside dogs. Since he is outside they are a lot of birds that do eat his food ( dry or can food and water also)

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

He is a little shaky at times... my brother believes Charlie is having symptoms of the parvo virus

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Charlie. Your brother may be correct. Charlie's symptoms are certainly consistent with parvovirus but other infectious diseases such as canine distemper and hepatitis - diseases we also vaccinate against - need to be considered as well. When the initial set of vaccines is delayed to 4 months of age, many dogs will contract these infections that would have been less likely if the first vaccine were given between 6-8 weeks of age, and boostered at both 9-11 and 14-16 weeks of age.

Charlie is quite ill at this time and needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.