Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just stepped on a wasp on the grass in my yard. he is…

Customer Question
My dog just stepped...

My dog just stepped on a wasp on the grass in my yard. he is not to happy. Can I do anything to help him with the pain? Can you help me help him? Thanks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

His is a poppy about 9 mos. he has had all shots.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about your poor fellow stepping on a wasp and subsequent discomfort.

This is probably related to a sting, even though you cannot see it.

Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.

Is his breathing and activity level normal?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

If you can see a stinger (you may need a magnifying glass to do so) then remove it with tweezers or the edge of a credit card. The longer the stinger stays in the more venom it pumps out.

You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound or one half of a 25mg capsule per 7 to 15 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur. Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make him a little sleepy.

You can also soak his foot in ice water and/or give him a cool water spot bath/soak with an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe his skin. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation and absorption/movement of the venom and the oatmeal reduces inflammation. Let his paw sit in the soak for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with cool water and pat dry.

If his paw looks swollen or red in one particular area you can apply cortisone ointment (like Cortaid) to that area.

And then you'll need to watch his closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.

The swelling/redness/discomfort should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.

In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.

Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.

If you notice progression of his symptoms don't wait, have him checked on an emergency basis.

If you'd like you can have a veterinarian check him now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if he seems to be doing well then you can just try my recommendations.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****